Tuesday 16 October 2012

The Renovation Continues

We are slowly making progress in our home. One of the features that I really wanted in my house was wooden floors. I am not so keen on laminate flooring and real wood is a bit on the expensive side for our current budget, so we decided to hire a sander and strip the existing floorboards. Here is the rather garish 1970s carpet that featured in the spare bedroom before...

 
This is the room that I am turning in to my Minnie Vintage studio. My collection of vintage items was starting to take over in our old flat so I have been allowed to dedicate an entire room to my hoarding. When we pulled up the carpet we found that the floorboards were a bit of a mess but the wood itself seemed to be in good condition. I realise now that I had forgotten to take a photo of the floorboards in the spare bedroom, but they were in a very similar state to those in the master bedroom....
 

We hired an industrial floor sander and corner sander from HSS Hire for a weekend. In two days we managed to complete two bedrooms with both medium and fine sandpaper. The only drawback was that it created an awful lot of dust which seemed to settle all over the house. After sanding we covered the wood in three layers of varnish with an oak stain. This was the end result....


 
(and here is the main bedroom)
 
 
We are thrilled with how the floorboards turned out and would definitely recommend giving it a go yourself. It saved us a lot of money and you don't need to be a professional to get a fantastic finish.


No comments:

Post a Comment